Five ways to increase optimism
Research in psychoneuroimmunology indicates that the feeling of optimism is good for work success, financial success, and good health. Optimists do not let problems or set backs color the way they look at the present or the future. Optimism is an art and can be improved with practice.
Why Practice Optimism?
- Optimists get sick less often than pessimists or those that are depressed. If they do become ill they get well, or heal, faster.
- Optimists are more likely to set a goal of financial wealth than worriers. People who achieve millionaire status do less worrying than the rest of us. The financially successful are generally hard working and spend or invest their money responsibly.
- Productive, top achieving employees are most often optimists.
Optimism is profitable and promotes well-being, but does not require people to become highly enthusiastic extroverts. Optimism is an attitude, not a personality. Introverted people can be determined optimists. If you want to become more optimistic there are actions you can take.
5 Ways to Increase Optimism
- Make an effort to speak and think using positive words. Instead of saying that you are tired you can say, “I’m recharging.” Rather than indicating you have failed, you might go with, “What I just learned will help me move forward.”
- Even if you don’t feel like it, stand and sit straight, walk faster rather than slower, and take the biggest steps you can without looking like you’re trying to. Having your head up and shoulders back makes you appear confident and is good for your overall sense of well-being.
- Have a problem solving, solution oriented mind set instead of thinking in terms of problems and weaknesses. Any attitude you have that causes physical or emotional upset needs to be replaced with one that promotes the success you want.
- They way we speak affects our body and emotions. Practicing talking with a “smile” in your voice or if it suits you, speak cheerfully. This is a proven way to go from feeling pessimistic to optimistic.
- What kind of role model do you want to be? People who act optimistic are more pleasurable to work with, and they influence others to be optimistic too. It also creates good karma, or if you prefer, you will reap the optimism you sow.
The point is not to become a different person. It is to give yourself the option of being optimistic and reap its rewards. To practice, you can focus on a different suggestion (from above) each day of the week until they become a habit. Or, you might work on the same one every day, until it becomes a habit, and then move to another. Give yourself credit for every success, no matter how small.