10 Excellent and Helpful Mental Health Videos
Expand your mental health awareness by discovering what it is like to have a mental illness. Learn about the global mental health dilemma, about depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder. See what cognitive behavioral therapy is all about, and how food affects your mood.
- World Health Organization: Mental Health (5:25)
This is an excellent introduction to the magnitude of our global mental health problems. There is an underlying pitch for a donation to WHO but feel free to watch the video for mental health awareness only.
- I Had a Black Dog, His Name Was Depression (4:18)
This is a fun to watch and spot-on description of what it is like to have depression.
- TED: Alicia Raimundo - Mental Health Superhero (about 12 minutes)
This video is very helpful for people trying to understand someone they know who has a mental illness, who wonders why the person cannot seem to get better, or wonders how they can help.
- What Is Bipolar Disorder? (2:58)
A short video that clearly explains the basics of bipolar disorder.
- Bipolar Overview (6:30)
A more in depth look at bipolar disorder. It gives the facts and also a sense of what it is like to have the disorder.
- Schizophrenia ABC 20-20 Documentary Part 1 and Part 2 (5:30 & 6:17)
Top notch videos for understanding what it is like to have Schizophrenia.
- What is Generalized Anxiety Disorder? (3:25)
Clear explanation of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and suggestions for managing it.
- Child or Teen Generalized Anxiety Disorder (4:07)
Excellent video to help parents recognize symptoms of high anxiety in children or adolescents, and suggestions for helping them cope.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (3:32)
Short but thorough explanation of perhaps the most widely used therapy today. Learn what it is, what it can help with, and what sessions are like.
- Food and Mood: How Diet Affects Depression (4:08)
An easy to watch video that makes the connection between diet and good mental health very clear; explains what is meant by a healthy diet.